Education or training options?
When you leave secondary education, there are lots of options available. You can choose from:
- full-time education at college, sixth form college or school sixth form
- work based learning, such as an apprenticeship or foundation learning
- part-time education or training if you are employed, self employed or volunteer for 20 or more hours a week.
Deciding what to do
It is important that you take the time to research which option is best for you.
- What learning style suits you best? Do you like being in a classroom? Do you prefer practical subjects? Do you prefer exams or course work, or possibly a mixture of both?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses? What subjects do you enjoy?
- What would you like to do in the future? Think about where the course, work based learning or job will take you.
Speak to your parents/carers, teachers and careers adviser to help you decide what to do. Don’t choose courses just because your friends are choosing them.
A Levels – Sixth Form College
There are over 80 A Levels available, and you will be able to choose from the courses offered at your college or sixth form. AS and A Levels prepare you for higher education and employment, and are useful whatever you plan to do afterwards.
You will study AS units in the first year and A2 units in the second year. If you choose to study a subject for one year and pass the AS units, you will receive an AS qualification. Some subjects cannot be studied at A Level without having studied it at GCSE.
Sixth Form Colleges
Holy Cross Sixth Form College
Oldham 6th Form
Union St W
Rochdale Sixth Form College
Access to Music
St James Buildings
65 Oxford Street
Rochdale Road, Middleton M24 6XH
T: 0161 643 7560
F: 0161 643 2114
St. Mary’s Gate, Rochdale OL12 6RY
T: 01706 345346
F: 01706 641426
St Michaels Road
Salford City College
T: 0161 631 5000
F: 0161 211 5020
Apprenticeships and Training
Government Apprenticeship website
IT sector apprenticeships
Manchester Science Park
Logistics sector apprenticeships
Mantra Learning and Job Gym Manchester
Oldham Training Centre
3 Union Street
T: 0800 195 8528
Rathbone Central Support
4th Floor, Wellington House
The Skills Company
Canal Suite Reception
90 Great Bridgewater Street
Careers in the Food & Drink Industry
T: 0845 644 0558
20 Great Moor Street
T: 01204 364111
T: 0345 600 8080
W: www. army.mod.uk/join
Holy Cross College & University Centre
T: 0161 247 2000